As a car owner, there is some basic information that you should know. It does not matter how long you have been dealing with cars. You, however, need to have the finer details regarding various parts of your vehicles.
You might know the basics of car mechanic such as various parts of the car and their functions. But do you know your car transmissions? There are various types. It all depends on your choice of car.
You need to understand the type of transmission in your machine and how it works. In case of breakdown, you can be able to know where the problem is. For example, take a look at the AX-5 transmission.
AX-5 is a light duty manual transmission. It was used by Jeep primarily in the Wrangler model in the 1980’s. It was found behind the AMC 150 (2.5L) I4 engine as well as the GM 2.8L 60 degrees V6.
The AX5 is widely utilized but has minimal strength.
Features of the AX5 Manual Transmission
- Transmission case – The AX5 transmission case is cast aluminum with a cast-iron middle-adapter plate separating the front and rear sections of the transmission.
- Shifter – The shifter is in the rear section of the transmission and is retained by four bolts.
- The AX5 has a 21 spline output shaft for mating to the NP207 and NP231 transfer cases. They usually are found coupled to an AMC 4 cylinder engine and had either an internal or external slave cylinder. It has a 1/2″ stick out past the tailhousing in 1997 & newer Jeeps.
- The transmission input shaft is 1″-14 splines with a stickout length of 7-1/2″. The pilot tip is .590″.
- Length of the transmission-The AX5 transmission case is 15-5/8″ long. The tailhousing section is 6-7/8″.
- It has an entirely manually and fully transmission synchronized in all gears. The gears are cut in helical shapes for all speeds.
- It is a top-shifting transmission. The transmission provides optimal shift quality, and of high quality.
- It has an overdrive transmission with the shifter found in the rear quarter of the transmission.
Identification of the transmission
The AX5 transmission case is 15-5/8″ long. It has a cast aluminum case with a cast-iron mid-plate.
In the vein of newer transmissions, the AX5 uses dowel pins for bellhousing alignment.
The Jeep AX5 has a 21 spline output shaft for connecting to the transfer case input shaft.
The input shaft is a 14 spline, and its stickout length is 7-1/2″.
Gear ratios for the AX5 are:
This transmission is somehow weak thus there are no adapter assemblies to join it to other transfer cases.
Adaptability of the engine
You can best replace the AX5 with a 2.5L engine and transmission with strengths that are better matched for the duties of a Jeep.
AX5 transmission is among the greatest medium duty transmissions. The five-speed manual transmission is easy to repair in case of breakdown. Always look for an expert mechanic to do the repair work.